We all know that on average, a person spends a third of their life asleep in bed. Given we spend so much time there, it makes sense that we make our bed as perfect as possible. Not only does the bed need to suit your interior design and look good, but it also needs to be comfortable to sleep in and match your needs.
Things to consider before you start looking for your new bed
Beds come in a range of shapes and sizes and different beds serve various needs. Before you start looking for your dream bed, ask yourself the following questions:
- What size would you like your bed to be? Think about how much space you have in your room, who will be using the bed and how much space you need to sleep comfortably. The bed you choose needs to fit well in your space, but be big enough for you to use.
- What is your budget? Beds vary greatly in size, shape and of course, cost. Think about how much you have to spend on your bed.
- Do you have any individual needs? For example, if you suffer from problems with your back, you might want a bed that is higher so it is easier for you to get in and out.
- What design are you trying to achieve in your bedroom? The bed you choose will have a massive impact on the overall design of your room.
What to think about when purchasing a new bed
You have a couple of options when it comes to buying a new bed. You can either choose to go for an all-in-one bed frame with a mattress, or you can buy a bed base and a headboard, as well as a mattress. Here are the different elements of a bed and tips on how to choose the best one:
- Headboard: if you’ve decided to go for a bed base and headboard, then you might want to choose the headboard first. The headboard is the most eye-catching part of the bed, it is the part that is going to add the most (or take the most from) your interior design. Typically you have two choices for your headboard, wooden or upholstered. If you are someone who likes to sit up in bed reading, a wooden headboard might not be right for you. So think about comfort, as well as the design, when making your choice.
- Bed base: bed bases aren’t visible, so you might not think the choice is that important. However, do remember that these bed bases are responsible for supporting your weight and giving you a supported and comfortable night’s sleep.
- Bed frame: If you have decided against a bed base and headboard, that means you need a bed frame. Just like when choosing a bed base and headboard, you need to think about both the aesthetics and the comfort of the bed. You also need to keep in mind that bed frames require a standardised mattress size. Another thing to consider here is that because the bed is all-in-one, it will be a little bigger and harder to move.
- Mattress: you need to choose a mattress that is comfortable for you and fits the bed you choose. The standard sizes are: single, king single, double, queen, king and super/California king.
- Bedding: after you’ve chosen the perfect bed and mattress, you need to finish the look with some beautiful bedding. For this, you can choose the design you like the most.
Tips for finding the perfect bed
Here are some handy tips to help you find the perfect bed:
- Visit a bed shop and take a look.
- When you look at a bed, don’t be afraid to lay in it and test it out.
- If you’re going to be sharing the bed, choose it together.
- Think about buying a bed with storage to save space on the furniture you need.
- Buy the biggest bed you can. If you have the space go for a king-size or even super king-size bed.
- Even if you sleep alone, consider buying a double bed, for extra comfort.
- If you have back issues, think about buying an adjustable bed.
- You get what you pay for. We’re not saying you have to spend a fortune on the bed, or that you shouldn’t shop around for the best deal, but you do get what you pay for. If you find a very cheap bed, it most likely won’t be as comfortable to sleep on and/or, won’t last as long.
Now you have all the information you need to buy the perfect bed to complete the look of your room.