Of all the potential threats to your home and health, water and damage and mold could be the very last things on your list. From slow water leaks to floods to burst drainage pipes, water damage wreaks havoc on your home and furnishings and mold causes a slew of respiratory issues.
Ed McMohan is one such person who suffered much loss when his dog Muffin died, and his wife and employees got sick due to mold. He sued his insurance company and mold remediation for $20 million.
Our advice – prevent mold and water damage, or clean it up as soon as you see the first sign of it.
We have charted out 8 tips for that’ll help you deal with water damage and mold cleaning.
- Mood requires moisture, warmth and food to thrive. Check places like bathrooms and kitchens and your walls for water leakage. According to the National Association of Home Builders, a moist ambience combined with a suitable room temperature can give rise to mold in about 48 hours.
- Clean up little bit of mold, like on your shower, with bleach and water. Any kind of mood that is less than 10 square feet in size can be effectively handled at home with simple cleaning tricks. When dealing with mold, always wear protective eyewear, gloves and long sleeved clothes to limit exposure as much as possible. You could even opt for a respirator.
- Mold leaning should be done in properly ventilated rooms. Open all windows and let sunshine and fresh air come in.
- Don’t treat even an inch of flood water in your basement lightly as water puddles become perfect breeding grounds for mold and mildew.
- Extract as much water as you can once you have a water damage situation. Towels, mops, buckets – whatever you can find and use for draining water, use it. Wear puncture resistant boots and gloves to stay protected from electric shocks.
- Before you do any kind of clean up, disconnect all electricity if there is a flood in your home. For a burst pipe or a leaky faucet, you do not have to take that step, unless water has flooded the electric points in your home.
- Use large fans and a dehumidifier to dry out the wet areas. Dampness is a huge factor in giving rise to microbial growth.
- Disinfect the area properly.
For more info visit water damage and mold removal in Ann Arbor Michigan.
Thanks for the tips guys. They were all great. I have been having issues with being fat both mentally and physically. Thanks to you guys i have been showing improvements. Do post more on fire and damage restoration.